Thursday, November 5, 2009

Edward Sharpe and the Magnificent Zeros



Yea yea i know, it's Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros BUT, i felt my name is a little more accurate.

I spent the day today sweeping dust and dirt out of Downey studios. No, im not becoming a janitor. The TV show my mom works on ended their season and needed some help moving everything to storage. In my 6 hours of work I happened to listen to "Up From Below," the ES and the EZ's album, about 4 times over. I actually listened to it twice, switched around to new artists, and then missed Edward Sharpe and went back for two more rounds. I can't deny it, I am in love.
My sister gave me this album a couple weeks ago but it wasn't till tonight that I realized "Up From Below" can't be classified as an album you listen to at any certain time. There are always those "sad" albums to cry to in your room, or "friends" albums to have a fun time listening to with your amigos. I feel that this album is just a life album. An album that you put on and then go about your business. You can press play and just walk down the aisles of the market or pick up your puppy chow or just take a stroll around the block. It actually coaxed me back to sanity as a howler monkey drunkenly yelled stories into my ear as I gave her a ride to the bar.
Edward Sharpe, the childhood alter ego for Alex Ebert was able to hide out through Ima Robot and make his grand appearance this year for their debut full length album. One reason i like this album is due to its organics and the very good use of 2-inch tape and a 24 track recorder. Twelve band members played on the record in a live fashion giving this album the feel of them playing it for you personally..... in your ear.... like they're all tiny and shit. Also i've never heard a more interesting Love album. These songs are fun and up beat, or cleaver and cute. Albums with the main theme of love seem to turn people away and usually with good reason. You don't know how many times i've wanted to barf hearing "I've Had the Time of My Life." Songs like "Jade," about the bands female singer Jade Castrinos is a perfect example of the connection of her and Alex Ebert. Although, the best song on the album is by far "Home" which describes how Alex and Jade fell in love. With catch phrases like "Home is wherever I'm with you" it's hard not to fall in love with this couple yourself.

This is a beautiful album. It shows character for this band and it shows growth as well as potential for future audible orgasms. Get it, support it and remember.... life album.

They also have a sweet website


No comments:

Post a Comment