Wednesday, March 3, 2010

How to make a successful blog

So you've made a blog, awesome, so did 30 million other people yesterday. Apart from notifying your tech savvy friends and relatives what you have been up to, blogs are usually around to get a good deal of followers or readers; but it has to be done right. Here is my short list of what you can do to make sure you aren't left in the blogging dust and aren't writing to yourself.


The Name:
Pick an easy name to remember. No one wants to type in Johnsguidetolifeandhowheseestheworld.blogspot.com. If you plan on having any readers it is good to start simple. You may even get a domain name and link it to your horribly named blog just to make things easier. Simple and easy

The Look:
Easy navigation is key. If someone comes to your blog and they don't know what the hell it is about or it has some shitty colors they aren't going to be very interested. I have seen some cases of dark colored text on dark backgrounds and that just gets too annoying to read. Make it simple and easy.

The Content:
This is by far the most important aspect of blogs (obviously). Of course blogs will be written by people who enjoy writing and feel they can do a pretty decent job of it, so writing quality is usually up to par with most blogs. Although the most successful blogs have found one subject and stuck with it. This way the readers can get advice, have a laugh or even ponder infinitely through the posts they read…. but not in the same place. If I need sex advice I visit iamboycrazy.com. If I want to laugh I go to failblog.org. If I need to know what to wear I go to putthison.com. If I need to know what NOT to wear I go to LATFH.com. If I want to get a food boner and cholesterol I go to thisiswhyyourefat.com. It's all laid out for whoever wants to read a certain topic. Stick to one topic to make it simple and easy. Also, don't let too much time pass between posts, no one likes a ghost town.


Of course sticking to one topic and having generic colors and a simple name isn't everyones cup of tea. This is merely a guide for those who want to get a few more views on their public blog.
Look at my web log, I'm all over the place and I spell "yeah" funny. Hardly suitable to break through on these internets.



3 comments:

  1. I hope that first tip wasn't a dig on www.andiwantitpaintedblack.blogspot.com! Hahaha ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. EVERYONE THAT FOLLOWS MIKE SHOULD FOLLOW ME. That was more of a plea than a summon.

    ReplyDelete