Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Blast From The Past

No my title doesn't refer to that crappy Brendan Fraiser movie — this is music talk.

Today while listening to the cd that loops at my work, provided by Muzak, I heard a song that I usually just let create a nice atmosphere before it proceeds to the next song. Today was different since I made the effort to climb on a chair and read the 1/4" x 2" screen which lists the artist and title.

Beautiful song, but that isn't the subject of this post. As I dug deeper into the world that is Pink Martini, I noticed a description of their sound on iTunes.

"….Like the Squirrel Nut Zippers –– who were always more than just a straightforward swing revival band –– Pink Martini do more than just rehash their influences….."

Stop. Rewind. They just made a Squirrel Nut Zippers reference. Holy shit. I used to be obsessed with SNZ. I remember playing their album 'Hot' over and over and learning all the words before I could even drive. This album went platinum when released in 1996 and was a huge success with help from their single 'Hell.'


Sound familiar? Of course it does, this song was everywhere in the late 90's. Oh and that wasn't Parker Posey on guitar by the way. Fooled me

I haven't looked them up in a while but apparently they released a live album last year called 'Lost At Sea' and even have plans for a new album this year. Perfect. It's always good to see a band that you had an interest in still producing albums. They did take a 5 year hiatus starting 2001, but hey you do what you gotta do. I might also add that they have a killer christmas album that I'm pretty sure has slipped behind my stereo 3 christmas' ago.

They may have a stupid fucking name but they make some damn good swing. Here's another song to leave you with.
Bedlam Ballroom. enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment