Wednesday, October 14, 2009

One piece at a time

Well it only took me a day to get over the sadness of getting my sprocket in the mail that was the wrong size. A quick call to Tyler the welder extraordinaire and i was on my way to a custom sprocket. The original problem with my old one was that my new engine's front sprocket was about an inch more forward than my previous one and thus i needed either a smaller sprocket or a new chain. The financially set thing to do was to get a new sprocket. Well 1 week later it came in the mail and it didnt fit my bike. My options were to return it and buy a $60 custom aluminum sprocket or......thats was all i could think of. Then the next day i called Tyler to see if he could fix me up somehow. He could. Here is my day.

Here is the original 45 tooth sprocket on top, and the new 40 tooth on the bottom


The center of the new sprocket was too small for my back tire so we had to cut out a small ring from the center to make it larger.


Then Tyler measured out the new wholes for the bolts and drilled those out


I asked Tyler to fix a whole i had in the back of my exhaust since we were hanging out by the welder anyways. He fixed up a piece of scrap steel and began to weld......


What we didn't realize till after was that the exhaust metal was so thin, that welding it actually just melted it away with little to no bonding. See the new hole?


So Tyler grabbed his trusty JB Weld to adhere the metal piece to the exhaust


Finally, after realizing the exhaust was as thin as a soda can, we fixed up the last hole in it......with a soda can. Along with lots and lots of JB Weld.


Once the JB dries and all the remaining Pepsi leaks are sealed the exhaust will be as good as new. Maybe a sponsorship is in order?

Turns out i could have done with a 42 tooth sprocket instead of a 40, my chain went on a little bit loosely but i figure it'll be easier to take a chain link out than it would be to find a single link to add onto the previous sprocket. Next up is the electrical....then it's done!......i hope

2 comments:

  1. new world record for usage of the word sprocket in one blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you hope...i hope. a couple more engineering circuit labs and ill be wiring that beast up in no time!

    ReplyDelete