Monday, July 26, 2010

Worlds collide

Ever since my motocycle accident I have been in need of a new seat for my bike. Mine has some rips in it that are disguised with faux leather and thread. So I have been looking at seats online for a while, especially cafe style seats with little luck.....

In a different section of my life, I have been looking at replication and how to use fiberglass with my Rocketeer Helmet project....

Ok so motocycles, helmets, yea they go together but I don't see the connection.

FIBERGLASS you turkey!

Well it turns out that aside from making helmets and ricer car hoods out of fiberglass, you can pretty much make anything you want, even custom bike seats. Say what?! Oh yes, it's actually quite simple (skip the engine photos)and will save me over $150 purchasing a new seat. The only difference is that it will be more time consuming, and maybe a little lopsided. I'm willing to live with it.

Isn't it great when you make something, just for the sake of making it? This helmet has essentially no purpose other than to be made. Yet, the skills it took to make the helmet come back in full swing to benefit my life. Awesome. Learning things is awesome.

Here's a photo of jewish kids learning stuff

1 comment:

  1. in steve jobs's speech to the graduating class at stanford he talked about how he randomly took a calligraphy class just for the hell of it after dropping out of college. that calligraphy class is the reason why macs (and later pcs) were designed with multiple typefaces and various fonts that we now know and love...

    random, but reminded me of that. it seems that when you do what you love you never know what will come of it, but more often than not it turns out for the best :)

    ReplyDelete