Saturday, October 3, 2009

The 6th Day with AppleCare

It has come to my attention that a very common problem with Apple laptops is a hard drive crashing. The little folder icon appears instead of the Apple logo, with a little question mark right in the middle. It's sort of a way of your computer saying "what the fuck?" My first experience with this happening was to me personally. I lost all my files due to faulty time machine installation(that was my bad) but ended up getting a new hard drive and didn't mind starting from scratch.... then it happened to my co-worker, then my sister, then my best friend, then my girlfriend, then a business partner as well as many unhappy people on apple forums. Well due to some light bickering on a friend's Facebook status i have decided to voice my opinion.

If anyone has seen The 6th Day with Arnold Swartzen-heimer then you'll know what im talking about. A big rich dude (who looks exactly like Bob Saget) has a company that makes clones, the only thing is, whenever they make a new clone for someone, they implant it with a disease secretly. This ensures that when that clone is on their death bed, they will return to that cloning company to ensure that they have a position in this world once their present body passes over. Hmmmmm, sounds a little familiar. I mean, this is nothing new, car companies have been doing it for years, but just that fact that Steve Jobs can sit on his money chair in his g.d. turtleneck and click his little keynote clicker at our faces while selling us poop juice equipment is a little depressing. An argument i heard on facebook is that all apples and pc's use the same hard drives and it is "hilarious" to blame the problems on the hard drive itself. Im sorry but i don't see Intels or Western Digital internal hard drives for sale for a Mac, nor do i see SATA or IDE ready to be shoved into a PC.

A year ago when this problem happened to me i didnt know what to do. The only help i had was 40 yr old men telling me to reset the pRAM 400 times. Most of my friends (not including me)get the lovely AppleCare. I hear it comes with a box of chocolates and a bouquet of roses, and a guy even comes and wipes your bottom when you make a poopy. Although those roses, chocolates and bum wipes run for about $200. What a certain someone did instead, was went and found a new internal drive for about $75, installed it himself, and just dealt with finding new music to put back on his laptop. I guess when you feel someone is sticking it to you, the best remedy is to get unstuck. I mean, if you buy a Swiffer wet jet, you're also going t have to commit to buying Swiffer wet jet wipes.....that is unless you find an equal alternative such as taping a wet napkin to the end of your $25 stick. Of course Swiffer didn't make the napkin, but it will work just as good, and maybe even better.....for cheaper!

I will admit, i own a Macbook Pro, i own an iPhone, i own an iMac (As well as a PC which has lasted me longer than i can remember, while simultaneously being up to date and very functional). But the bottom line is, where is the longevity? I see all these crashes, where does that leave me as a consumer to keep buying these products? Apple has become it's own monopoly, no one else can run Mac OS Anything, leaving them to raise prices to whatever they want and dish out a quality which they determine, and all we can do is suck our thumbs and have Mr. Jobs stop by with a rose every now and then a sprinkle some baby powder on our bum rashes.

Although, i will admit..... visual voicemail is the shit.

1 comment: