Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Steampunk


So I guess the movies I like have a name. While browsing Etsy for motorcycle goggles I noticed a large amount of "steampunk" accessories. I figured it was a brand or a certain merchant on the site. Digging deeper I realized that it was the actual style of the glasses. For those of you like me, who have never heard of "steampunk" before, I'm sure you've seen it before.

Some of the best movies are made in the style of steampunk. Steampunk is the use of victorian era gizmos to make fictitious gadgets with the look and feel of being 'steam' powered. Get it? It all comes together now.

I realize now how lots of the movies that intrigue me have this feel to them.

City of Ember

Hellboy

Wild Wild West

and one of my all time favorites, City of Lost Children

of course there's a ton more.... but I like these ones

One thing I also happened to find when I was looking in to steampunk was Boilerplate. The historic mechanical man that helped shape our countries history. Don't believe me? Check out the historical photos.

3 comments:

  1. steampunk is awesome! i think you'll like this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y4u8sWO1Kk&feature=player_embedded

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boilerplate isn't real, just a very masterfully executed comedic historical forgery. It's ok, Chris Elliot made the same mistake.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boilerplate_%28robot%29

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's not?! well then how do you explain this picture of my friends playing beer pong 2 years ago?
    http://lh5.ggpht.com/_EowV2UU-VXQ/S_bJPXvBecI/AAAAAAAABfQ/-hlbnqfZP4Q/BPandBP.jpg

    ReplyDelete